Code of Ethics for Long Term Care Ombudsmen
The National Association of State Long Term Care Ombudsman Programs
1. The ombudsman provides services with
respect for human dignity and the individuality of the client,
unrestricted by considerations of age, social or economic status,
personal characteristics, or lifestyle choices.
2. The ombudsman respects and promotes the client’s right to self-determination.
3. The ombudsman makes every reasonable effort to ascertain and act in accordance with the client’s wishes.
4. The ombudsman acts to protect vulnerable individuals from abuse and neglect.
5. The ombudsman safeguards the client’s right to privacy by protecting confidential information.
6. The ombudsman remains knowledgeable in
areas relevant to the long term care system, especially regulatory and
legislative information, and long term care service options.
7. The ombudsman acts in accordance with
the standards and practices of the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program,
and with respect for the policies of the sponsoring organization.
8. The ombudsman will provide professional advocacy services unrestricted by his/her personal belief or opinion.
9. The ombudsman participates in efforts to promote a quality, long term care system.
10. The ombudsman participates in efforts to maintain and promote the integrity of the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program.
11. The ombudsman supports a strict
conflict of interest standard that prohibits any financial interest in
the delivery or provision of nursing home, board, and care services, or
other long term care services that are within their scope of
12. The ombudsman shall conduct himself/herself in a manner that will strengthen the statewide and national ombudsman network.